not such a folly after all… 01

This project was a chance to explore, not only different ways of realizing 3D forms, but also an introduction to 3D printing. We learnt a number of different software and hardware components to produce some stunning outcomes…

As with the first brief, when Jess told us what we would be doing, i was really excited and couldn’t wait to get into it. I did however think how on earth i would get from here to there…well, this is how it happened…

It began with an introduction to Topmod. Topmod is freeware, HEAPS of fun…..but loves to crash. We soon learnt to save, pretty much, after each change to our shapes.

The beauty of Topmod is this: you start off with a ‘primitive’ shape and do whatever you want with it. Every program has its own limitations within its structure, but Topmod it pretty versatile…it’s actually quite addictive.

a shot taken from within one of my shapes. This was originally a 'soccer ball' shape. I collapsed all the joins (yep, every one manually), which created all the small triangles. I then made a 'wire frame'. I great looking shape, but it turned out to be too thin for 3D printing...

This ball i started using the 'collapse edge' mode. This is an early shot. I actually collapsed it about 40 times. I also extruded some spikes out of it. You will see the results later...

This complex shape was relatively straight forward. I extruded all the surfaces into pyramids. I then used the 'create sierpinsky tetrahedra'. Once again not an option for printing, as the joints are not solid connections, but rather touching points.

This was the beginnings of my final shape. I created a 'thick' wire frame, then went about using the 'dome extrude mode'. From here i manually extruded every second line of each dome shape. This created a flower like shape....or a 'cauliflower' as Jess so eloquently put it.

Once i was happy with my shape, i saved it as an object and transported it into rhino… Each program has it’s advantages and different ways of working. Rhino allowed not only the use of ‘Magics’ but also to really pick apart the shape, to see it from all angles and change things as they needed to be for printing.

A shot of the shape in Rhino....as you can see it changes its form into a series of lines with 3D space.

The Folly within the 'Magics' program ...ready for it's 'appraisal'.

While in Magics, i played with the scale of the object. I needed to different sizes. One for the plaster print and the other for the stainless steel. I measured the size by finding the ‘distance’ between two points. In this case the distance of the thinnest ‘arms’….and then made ‘scale’ adjustments accordingly.

A good mesh. This was also the screen shot i had to send to Andrew, so he could see for himself there wouldn't be any problems with the printing process.

My favorite screen shot. In Magics you were also able to see an 'x-ray' shot of the entire shape. You could slide the mouse through it and see its inner density and make sure it all worked.

This was a REAL folly. I created this shape and moved it to Rhino. I checked it in Magics and it had something like 6000 problems. Overlapping triangles, non connected edges and so on. ….basically a pipe dream, but i have to say, some amazing screen shots and maybe one day i can fix it to print….these are for you Jess, thanks for trying…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s