The pipe should be no larger than 200 mm, and no higher than 500 mm. We can play as we like with the form.
3. – 4. In the Properties panel, I choose to highlight in blue the backface of my pipe. In this way modeling is easier.
5. – 6. – 7. Clicking F10 (or writing Points On), control points appear. Those points are the ones that allow us to model the pipe as we prefer. Many control points produce a smoother surface. Type “Rebuild” to choose the density of the grid.
8. One of the many pipes I did before choosing the final one. This one was too curve, and the script couldn’t process it.
9. – 10. I ended up with a simpler one, in this way there were no problems with Rhino script.
11. -12 Rhino script drew the horizontal and vertical ribs
13. I selected all the ribs one by one and put in sheets 900x600mm (max dimensions for the laser cutter machine). Saved as .ai document, and opened with illustrator. Check the strokes, it must be 0.001, and make sure that the text is on a different layer than the ribs.
14. The file is ready to cut with the laser! First print the etch with the texts, and then cut using the mdf 6 mm settings (to cut through).
15. The final pipe is ready! It wasn’t easy to put all the pieces together, but fun though 🙂