Project 4: Hybrid Techniques
Due: Beginning of week 11’s class (Wednesday6th October)
The objective of Project 4 is to start thinking about different ways of using RP techniques, in combination with other, more ‘traditional’, craft techniques. Students may work individually or in pairs. Students will produce a small piece that utilizes at least one RP technique, with another model making technique. Some hybrid techniques are suggested below:
- create a CAD CAM routed negative-mould, then cast the piece using plaster, cement concrete, latex or resin.
- create a contour mould from laser cut contour profiles, then cast the piece using plaster, latex or resin.
- create a a series of CAD CAM wood/foam blocks, to use as wood block stamps with ink.
- create a layered stencil from laser cut card, to create a print with spray paint or silk screen print.
- create a series of 3d printed tiles to be cast into a mosaic tile piece.
- create a ‘negative’ 3d print, seal it using an epoxy and cast pieces in plaster, cement concrete, latex or resin
- create a 3d print in a combustible material that is then cast in bronze.