The template provided was a pipe. Learning the command ‘pointson’ and ‘rebuild’ I pulled the points to deform the pipe. It was design decision to pull the points random, as I wanted to achieve an organic shape.
After the deciding my shape I loaded a script given to the class. The script turned the surface in a series of vertical and horizontal ribs; it then copied the ribs and laid them flat. I then used another script called pack it with put the ribs into rectangles the size of the laser cutter beds.
Once the ribs are in place I exported the file into illustrator. Changed the line weights to .001 pt and sent them to the laser cutter. I used 3mm ply for my material. This became an issue because the ply warped during the cutting and sometimes didn’t cut all the way through