Experimenting with Plaster

It took Natasha and I MANY attempts to come up with a successful plaster cast of our tile.

For our first attempt we heated up vaseline and put a thick later of that in between the foam and plaster, however it cracked as we tried to remove it:

As  you can see, the detailing is visible but we knew this wouldn’t be an effective way to keep working.

Next, we decided to hold gladwrap pasted with vaseline over the frame and foam, and lower it down into the mould as someone poured the plaster. The result is below:

This method meant all the detailing was lost, but there were no issues removing it from the mould.

In order to get the detailing back, we tried lining the frame and mould with gladwrap, pushing the gladwrap into all of the detailing and then pouring the plaster in:

The result was that all of the detailing became visible again, but the sides were very uneven due the gladwrap…

 FINALLY we worked out the best method for our tile: Cover the foam mould with gladwrap, pushing the gladwrap into all of the details. Then, place the frame back around the mould and tape into place. Finally, pour in the plaster.

All of the detailing is visible, there is minimal gladwrap crinkling in the plaster surface, and all of the edges are smooth and even.

 

It took quite a few days and a LOT of plaster, but we did it!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s